Discovery Study Guides
Searching for God
Australian pop singer John Farnham expresses the yearnings of many: “I'm searching for something / That's so hard to find / I’m falling down mountains / I can't seem to climb / Driving down highways / That don't have an end / I can't find the sign, am I lost again. … I'm selfish and jealous, / I'm proud and a fool / I'm walking with strangers / And strangers are cruel / I'm praying to gods / That I don't even know / I'm ready and willing / Where do I go?”
Millions around the world believe that Jesus, the One born 2000 years ago, can satisfy that longing. How can we be sure?
The Claims of Jesus
The claims Jesus made are quite staggering. Yet he is counted sane by a large portion of the world. In fact most would acknowledge Jesus as a great moral teacher.
1. What claims did Jesus make about Himself? John 14:6; Matthew 28:18
“I am the way and the truth and the life.” “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.”
2. What did Jesus say those who believe in Him would receive? John 3:16
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
3. While Jesus said we need forgiveness (who hasn’t made a mistake?), what claim did He make about himself? John 8:46
“Can any of you prove me guilty of sin?”
The Character of Jesus
Could a flaw be found in Jesus’ character we would have a right to reject Him.
4. Those closest to us know us best. How much sin did John, one of Jesus’ closest followers, say was in Jesus? 1 John 3:5
“And in him is no sin.”
5. In temptation, how did He differ from us? Hebrews 4:15
“[Jesus was] tempted in every way, just as we are — yet was without sin.”
6. What judgment did Pilate, Roman governor of Judea, make about Jesus? Luke 23:4, 13-16
“I find no basis for a charge against this man.”
At His trial religious leaders used false witnesses with trumped up charges against Him. Judas said: “I have betrayed innocent blood.” The Roman centurion, witnessing the crucifixion, said, “Surely he was the Son of God!” (Matthew 26:59-63; 27:4; 27:54)
The Predictions of Jesus
7. What influence did Jesus claim? John 8:12
“I am the light of the world.”
As the sun is the source of all life physically, so Jesus claims to be the inspiration of all life spiritually. His life and teachings have inspired that which the world considers the very best in every area of life.
8. What did Jesus predict about his death and resurrection? Matthew 17:22-23
“They will kill him, and on the third day he will be raised to life.”
The resurrection of Jesus is the cornerstone of Christianity. Without it Christianity would never have gotten off the ground.
9. What did Jesus say would pass away before His words? Matthew 24:35
“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.”
Only one who was God could speak as Jesus spoke and foretell the unfading influence of His words. Over 640 million Bibles and portions are published each year. Inspired by God, written by prophets guided by the Holy Spirit (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21), the Bible is still the world’s Best Seller!
10. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. What does the Psalmist say about God? Psalm 34:8
“Taste and see that the LORD is good.”
The December 6, 1999, Time magazine featured a cover article, “Jesus at 2000,” The single most powerful figure — not merely in these two millenniums but in all human history — has been Jesus of Nazareth.” “Taste and see for yourself — read Jesus’ own words in the Bible!
Bible Discovery by Errol Webster. Reprinted with permission by SIGNS. Biblebay © 2001-2014, Westlake Village, CA.