Discovery Study Guides
The Miracle of Generosity
1. What did Jesus say about the act of giving? Acts 20:35
“It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
2. What law of the harvest expresses the miracle of generosity? Galatians 6:7-10
“A man reaps what he sows. . . . Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”
3. What kind of “giver” does Paul say God loves? 2 Corinthians 9:6, 7
“Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
4. What is the “golden rule” taught by Jesus? Luke 6:31
“Do to others as you would have them do to you.”
The All-Sufficiency of God
5. What is the most fundamental teaching of the Bible and fact of human existence? Psalm 24:1
“The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.”
When God created Adam and Eve, He made them stewards over this world. A steward is a person entrusted with management of another’s property. He gave them delegated authority over this earth to care for it and for each other (see Genesis 1:28; 2:15).
6. How does Paul state the all sufficiency of God for every faithful steward? 2 Corinthians 9:8
“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” the love of God
7. How do we know what love is and how do we express that love? 1 John 3:16-18
“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.”
8. God is the great Giver. What miracle of generosity comes from His Gift? John 3:16
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Paul says, “If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all— how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” (Romans 8:31, 32).
9. Where does love come from and what effect will it have in our lives? 1 John 4:7-12
“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. . . . Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
No-one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
Bible Discovery by Errol Webster. Reprinted with permission by SIGNS. Biblebay © 2001-2014, Westlake Village, CA.